Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Livin' the Dream

So I’ve obviously been MIA and it’s basically because I’m a creature of habit. And the moment my habits are altered in any way, I pretty much just take a nap and call it a day. Which is a fortunate character trait for my current state of being since I’m basically supposed to be laying still for the next four weeks until a baby comes out of my body.

You see, a few weeks ago I headed in for my regular OB checkup, which at this stage in the game, is a weekly occurrence. I walked in during my lunch break from work, sat down, got my blood pressure taken, hung out, and then found my concerned doctor rushing into the room to comment on my “swollen face and extremely high blood pressure” and immediately ushering me off to labor and delivery.

Which, as you can imagine, did wonders to lower my blood pressure and raise my fragile self-esteem that had me feeling like a bloated buffalo.

And so I casually strolled over to labor and delivery, texted CB and was like “yeah, don’t worry, I’m sure they won’t make me have the baby today, they’re just being overly cautious.”

Cut to: one hour later when the head of labor and delivery was like “so, if this doesn’t get better we’re going to have to induce you.”

To which my response was to immediately looked for snacks in my bag because I’ve heard you can’t eat once labor begins and I HAVE PRIORITIES, PEOPLE.  

But the good news is that they were able to stabilize my bp (by making me lay still for three hours) and sent me home with strict instructions for bed-rest from hereon out – no more going into the office, no more working out, no more….moving. Basically. Until the end of this month when I’ll be full term and can then jumping jacks this kid out of me if I want to. (I mean, they didn’t say that, but I read between the lines.)

Anyway. That’s what I’ve been up to – working from my couch, taking my blood pressure all the time, making a fun little “emergency” trip back to labor and delivery at 9pm Sunday night because apparently being awake makes my blood pressure sky-rocket, and not blogging.

However, I’ll keep you guys posted and will have a Friday Wrapup for you so that we all have something to live for. There’s a new little girl dancing video that I’ve basically watched on repeat because that’s what you do when you’re on bed-rest/your world has become very small.

What have you guys been up to?

Happy Wednesday, everyone!


7 comments:

  1. I had the EXACT SAME THING happen to me exactly 29 years and two weeks ago, and the bundle of joy that resulted from me lying on my left side for two weeks is now a lawyer and a funny guy and the husband of my favorite daughter-in-law. Hang in there. So worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, really?? I love it! Did you end up delivering around your due date? Wow, crazy to think this little baby is going to grow up and be...an adult some day! Such a great story :-)

      Delete
    2. He actually was induced three weeks early but no C-section because my OB totally rocked. Tiny (4 lbs. 14 oz.) but perfect. (My son, not the OB.) Oh, except that Boy#1 didn't have any toenails yet except on his big toes. He went home with us when I was dismissed after two days and today is six feet tall and makes the most terrible puns.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad they were able to stabilize you and hope you are feeling ok! You must be going crazy though not being able to do anything. Right about now, sitting in my office, being a slave to the auditors, I'd welcome laying down for the rest of the month. ha ha! Seriously though, do what is best for you and the baby, if you don't blog, we get it!! Stay calm and motionless! :) ----Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you did not have to have the baby right then and there! Some good news = Orange is the New Black Season 3 is available tomorrow on Netflix :) Keep your chin up, exciting times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a day late and a dollar short, but I wanted to add my hugs and support, too! I am sure this wasn't exactly what you had in mind for the last 4 weeks before baby, but it will all be worth it in the end. And we, your loyal readers, understand. :-) Hang in there and take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky, something about how casual you are about going into labor makes me think that these doctors have very low BP level-tolerance. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete