Friday, March 15, 2013

Friday Wrapup!

So, I tried getting into my office this morning using my Metrocard. Which, shockingly, didn’t work. But the most disturbing part is how long it took me to realize it.


Which can only mean one thing, right? It’s Friday! Let’s get to it.

***
Ok, so remember earlier this week when I mentioned that thing CB says I do, where I inexplicably hate on people (celebrities) for no reason? Like Jennifer Hudson and Nicholas Cage? 

Right. So apparently he’s onto something, because it happened again yesterday. Except this time, I learned that I wasn’t alone in my irrationality, and for that, I feel vindicated.

Me: Are they talking about Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel?
Male co-worker: Yeah, I think so.
Me: Man, I should be sitting over there.

Silence.

Me: Are they talking about Cameron Diaz now?
MCW: Yeah.
Me: Ugh, I can’t stand her.
MCW: Who, Cameron Diaz?
Me: Yeah, I hate her.
MCW: You hate Cameron Diaz? Do you know her personally?
Me: No, she just bugs me. She’s a TERRIBLE actress!
Other co-worker: I liked her in “There’s Something About Mary.”
Me: Everyone liked her in that movie. That’s a given. But she’s a terrible over-actor, which is really annoying because one of my favorite chick flicks is “The Holiday” and I have to suffer through watching her in it.
MCW: Isn’t she supposed to be annoying in that movie anyway?
Me: No, I think she’s supposed to be lovable, but see? Her annoying-ness comes through whether it’s in the script or not! Plus, I was at the Daily Show one day when she was the guest, and she could barely form a sentence.
MCW: Well yeah, she might not be too bright, but you hate her for it?
Me: No, that’s not why.
MCW: You don’t like the movies she chooses?
Me: No, some are alright.
MCW: So…..
Me: I know, I know, it doesn’t make any sense, you just have to go with it! Sort of like my irrational feelings of hate towards Nicholas Cage.
MCW: What?
Me: And Val Kilmer.
MCW: WHAT???
Other co-worker: How do you feel about Russell Crowe?
Me: Eh, I’m neutral. I like some of his movies, I don’t hate or love him.
MCW: But he’s a total d-bag.
Me: True. But I have a propensity for d-bags. For instance, I’m in love with John Mayer.

And this is when the entire group chimed in.

In unison: WHAT? He’s the WORST!
Me: I know, I know. I didn’t say it was rational!
Female co-worker: He’s the absolute worst, please like anyone else.
Me: I can’t help it, my love for him runs deep and nothing anyone says can change that.
MCW: That’s totally irrational.
Me: Hi, have we met? My name’s Becky.
Female co-worker: But you don’t like Cameron Diaz? Why?
Me: I dunno , she just bugs me.
FCW: I feel like she’d be super fun to have a drink with.
Me: That’s true…..
FCW: But you know who I can’t stand? That chick on the Starbucks commercial who calls her mom “mommy” and talks about their sh*tty blonde brew….

And then she went off on a tirade about Starbucks coffee and the unlikeability of the actress and it made me feel at home.

Moving on.

***

This week’s book choice is a classic. If you haven’t read “Anna Karenina,” you’re seriously missing out. And if the fact that they all have Russian names that sound exactly alike is a deterrent, just start giving them generic names, like I did. Like, Anna can stay Anna, and Alexei can stay Alexiei. But then the second Alexiei? Make him “Bob.” And I’m not gonna lie, in my mind, I made Konstantin “Konnie” and Ekaterina “Ed.”

It totally works. Until you forget what their generic names are that you gave them, and then you realize that it’s easier just to let them have their names, and by the time you get to that point, it’s, like, halfway through the book and you’re used to it. So win/win.

Anyway, this was one of the first books I ever gave to CB, and while he looked mildly terrified at first, it ended up being one of his favorites (or so he says. He knew that talking literature was the way to my heart. That, and by having chocolate on-hand at all times.).

So, enjoy this review and then go read the book!  

Click here to read all about it!

***

Even a barbershop quartet version works for me.


***

And now, the Video of the Week. I’d be remiss if I didn’t make some reference to St. Patrick’s Day, since at least part of my heritage comes from the Emerald Isle. Of course, CB’s entire family hales from Ireland, and true to form, this means we'll be having a really low-key weekend of just hanging out and taking it easy.

No, of course that’s not true. Please.

We’ll be celebrating this weekend with family and friends, eating corned beef and cabbage and possibly consuming beer. 

Anyway, this is also a great opportunity to feature one of my all-time favorite bands for the Video of the Week AND pay tribute to the great people of Ireland. 

Also, The Edge is a dreamboat. 

Enjoy! 


Happy Friday AND St. Patrick's Day, everyone! This weekend, we're ALL Irish! 

3 comments:

  1. Are you watching Smash? It's like Glee but for grown-ups. And the acting's pretty good and they're doing a fairly interesting story arc featuring Jennifer Hudson.

    Also, just so I can complain, I'm mildly offended by how many people are going into Sunday as "It's St. Patrick's Day. We get to pretend to be Irish.... AND GET TOTALLY DRUNK!".

    ~cough cough~ Sorry to be a wet blanket but why is it okay to "celebrate" the negative stereotype that the Irish are a bunch of drunken louts? Shall we put a few "Irish and Catholics need not apply" up in the windows too?

    Sorry... shouldn't rant here.. I'll go back to my blog and do that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a girl who saw Val Kilmer in person. She happened to be on acid at the time and shouted at him "Hey, what's up, Val Kilmer!" in an obnoxious, druggie way. Barely glancing at her, he merely said, "Get the f*** out of my face," and just kept walking. I love that story. I love your blog, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday!! Apparently my kids will be celebrating the holiday on Monday at school so I might just pretend that there is nothing going on this weekend and be low key. I'm too exhausted to worry about pesky leprechauns!!

    ReplyDelete