Monday, November 19, 2012

Why binge drinking is good practice for the holidays and why my blog readers rock.


So as you all know, this weekend was Beerathon. And the mere fact that I am typing this right now should tell you one thing: I am a champion. Also, I’m alive.

This is what I normally
wear for birthdays/holiday
parties. I think CB's family
will be extremely impressed.
But whatever, I’m totally an adult you guys. I mean, I’m merely days away from a seminal birthday and so I’ve obviously figured out how to do this up right while still being a functioning member of society the next day. Or, as functioning as I normally am, and really, that’s more than any of us expected, isn’t it?

Speaking of functional, it should be noted that while some of my fellow Beerathoners decided to do a little pants-optional binge drinking towards the end of the night, I was not one of the culprits, and for that we should all say a little prayer of thanks. Oh, and when I say “some” I mean “one” and you know who you are. Matt.

But what should terrify everyone (though mainly me) about this whole thing is that I was repeatedly told that this was good “practice” for Thursday. Yeah, as in “Beerathon is a great way to train for Thanksgiving!”

So let’s break this down: if this is foreshadowing of what's to come on Thursday, at some point in the day my pants won’t fit, I will cease all conversation with CB for precisely an hour, I’ll get buzzed, then hungry, then sleepy, and all while having to keep my pants on THE WHOLE TIME.

It might get ugly.

But this is kind of a very big deal, you guys, this whole going to Thanksgiving with CB thing, and I totally want to get invited back. So while I’m working on memorizing the flow chart of people in attendance, while bracing myself for the fact that I may have to eat in the garage and/or get head butted and/or body slammed by the pants-optional culprit from this weekend, I’m also really not wanting to be CB’s lame-o girlfriend who ate too much stuffing and fell asleep at 7.

It’s been known to happen.

But whatever, it’s going to be the best. The only thing better would be if my family was here with me, but since I’m gracing them with my glittery presence in less than a month, I figured I should spare them some peace on at least one national holiday.

So in honor of this momentous occasion and, you know, the holiday itself, I’d like to give thanks this week for the randomness and awesomeness that is this thing I call my life. And I figured I’d start off by thanking all of YOU, the readers who check out the blog every day or week or month – if you’re reading this right now, I’m thanking you!

I started this earlier in the year so that Courtney would quit bugging me already, and it’s grown into something I couldn’t even imagine. Reading your comments, hearing you reference a post, seeing CB’s popularity grow and grow as he becomes a larger than life voice of reason for the ever crazier events of his completely sane and always stable girlfriend…..all of it has enriched these last several months in ways you couldn’t even imagine.

So I’m thankful for you and am looking forward to the next year of whatever lies ahead. 

Happy Monday, everyone! What are you thankful for this year?

Confidential to an early adopter of the blog: 

Happy birthday!



11 comments:

  1. I am thankful for finding inspiration again (yay!), for my lovely husband, for the fact that the Walking Dead is kicking butt in season 3, and also, for the fact that I discovered "American Horror Story" (woah).

    Also - thankful to have great bloggers who add some sunshine to my day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great list!!! I've never seen the Walking Dead OR American Horror Story...maybe I should check them out.....

      Delete
    2. Do you like being freaked out? Because if you do, then I suggest you do what I do, and ensure that CB isn't home (I don't ensure that CB isn't at my home, I'm talking about my dude), and then watch it by yourself with all the lights turned off in your place, with piles of blankets and an empty bladder. That is the making for the perfect evening!

      Also - it works quite well as a diet. Some of the scenes are gross, so I absolutely can't eat while watching either. You just never know what you are going to see! I've lost 5 pounds!

      Delete
    3. Jeez, now I'm intrigued! And CB likes to be freaked out, too, so maybe we can both check it out and see what happens? Hmmm...this has the potential to be a great future blog post... :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm thankful to have entered this crazy awesome world of blogging and submerging myself completely in it, only to find that there are people in this just as (if not more) crazy and weird as I am. I'm also really thankful that the people I love the most have allowed me to post our interactions for the world to see.
    And I'm thankful to have made more friends along the way! :)
    Aaaaaand day drinking. I love the fact that I can day drink with no judgment because I live alone and my dog doesn't know what time is. I'm gonna go have a beer now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thankful to be going home in one month and finally getting to see my family again after spending a year abroad :) I'll be home for Christmas! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, that's a perfect thing to be grateful for. Congrats!

      Delete
  4. I am thankful for pandora radio and the stability ball I sit on at work so I can bounce around while rocking out at my desk. I am thankful for double stuff oreos and a tall glass of milk. And most of all I am thankful for your blog because it gives me something to look forward to reading and is a bright spot in my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's the sweetest! I'm so happy to have the opportunity to add a bright spot to your day! That's the whole point, so I'M thankful you stop by and read the blog!!!

      Delete
  5. I'm thankful for blogging, and the blogging community as well. We are all so crazy and in such an awesome way!! I did the whole Thanksgiving/Holiday thing with Brian when we were dating, and it was the first time I was meeting most of his family, and let me just tell you the highlight of the evening while sparing you the play-by-play hot mess that was that weekend. The highlight was when I threw up my turkey in front of the family dog, and he started to eat it before I could clean it up. In my defense, I later found out I have serious gastro-intestinal problems, but it was mortifying nonetheless. But we just got married a week ago! Brian and I, that is. Not me and the dog. Soooo, it will be ok :) No matter what. Have a happy, happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete