Tuesday, August 14, 2012

In Memoriam


In memory of Dick Clark, this will be an all-music-all-the-time-related post. Dick Clark, I’m sorry if this was not the “In Memoriam” that you had in mind when people started paying tribute to your decades-long contribution to pop culture. But a tribute without J-Lo is just no tribute at all. So let’s proceed. 
For those of you who don’t know, I have a deep, long-standing love for Jennifer Lopez. We all know the famous 4x4 column photo of J-Lo and Puff-P-Diddy-Sean-Ciroq-Combs that ran in the State News all of those years ago. I don’t have shame about it and I have armadillo armor when it comes to hearing criticism of her.

Me: “I love J-Lo.”
Co-worker: blah blah blah she sucks blah blah she films commercials supposedly in New York that are in LA blah blah blah she totally hates the Brox, blah blah blah
Me: “I don’t care. Our love is deep. And I have a Jennifer Lopez station on Pandora.”
Co-worker: “Wow, you have a really high threshold for shitty music.”
Me: “You have no idea.”


I m just a girl from the Bronx. Also, I might just buy the block so I don t have to live with you people.

Also, while being really productive at work yesterday, I asked my colleague if he had a “theme song.” He didn’t even look up from his computer screen and said:

“I’m a 37 year old man. No, I do not have a theme song.” Pause. “Though I’m sure now you’re going to share yours with me in detail.”

And just because of the sassy tone, I kept the amazing list of theme songs I constantly have running through my head to myself. You lose, co-worker! Now you will never know. Or, I’ll tell you later.

But you, loyal readers, get to see the complete list*. Also, if you don’t have at least one theme song, you should and please drop whatever less important thing you’re doing and spend time thinking about it. I promise, music running through your head makes EVERYTHING better. And, if nothing else, it quiets the voices.

So, in American Bandstand-type style, here are my Top Five (in no particular order):


What epitomizes "fun" more than a 
blazer and white sweat pants? 
We were the "Independent Women" of 1989. 
Also, there's not a lot to do in 
Michigan when you're 11.
Get Ur Freak On – Missy Elliott: This song has deep meaning to me. And to Beth. And that’s probably it. But this is a song that runs through my head sometimes and I immediately start to feel very cool. And then I trip. And then I’m back to normal.

Girls Just Want to Have Fun – Cyndi Lauper: I mean, really. Self-explanatory. I can’t not bop when I hear this.

I Wanna Dance with Somebody – Whitney HoustonKeep up. This is my go-to. I almost didn’t include it because it was so obvious.


Love Don’t Cost a Thing – J-LoTrust me, this was a hard one. I mean, they’re all classics. But, this is the first song that introduced me to the wonders of everything Lopez. Plus, I totally got my nails done in French manicure style back in college after watching this video 100 times and realizing this would bring me closer to becoming her. And when this song comes on I start to sing like I’m J-Lo and people are really impressed.

 RIP, Dick Clark.
*This is by no means complete. Please note that list is also subject to change depending on what day it is.

2 comments:

  1. I Wanna Dance With Somebody should be everyone's theme song. I wasn't even alive when it came out, but it's definitely one of the greatest songs evvar. In fact, it came on the radio while I was driving yesterday so I cranked it and screamed along. I think the truck driving along side me probably thought I was having a seizure or something, but seriously... he's the one missing out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That. Is. Awesome. See?? This is why I have readers like you. You GET me. And that truck driver was TOTALLY missing out! Keep rocking!

      Delete