Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Why I'm Still Holding On and how I make a lot of friends by listening to the Thong Song.


A lot has been going on in the world of music lately. First, it was Whitney Houston, then Dick Clark, who was honored right here in a way I’m sure he’d totally approve of, then MCA, who I didn’t honor here because I’m pretty sure I could never do him justice…so instead, just click here if you want to re-live the wonder that is the Beastie Boys. 
And then this sad trend continued last week with Donna Summer and Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees. I think the obvious link to share would be this, but I’m going to give you a little insight into what makes me awesome. When I was in college, this song came out and I listened to it, conservatively, a billion times. And for a fleeting time, I then got super into the Bee Gees, which was just weird for everyone involved. It was sort of like the time when I got really into Sisqo, an accomplishment I’m quite proud of since he only had one and a half hits.

I’m still trying to figure out what an ‘ish’ is. Thank you for broadening my horizons, Sisqo.


But I didn’t let that - or a decent taste in music - stop me, so I would listen to the “Thong Song” over and over and over, dancing to it through the house I shared with 4 other people who clearly loved every minute of this obsession. Obviously. But we already know that I’m a bit obsessive about everything from peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to Sam Championso it’s totally fine and everyone has forgiven those moments of indiscretion. I’m assuming.

But I digress.

Uh, something phenomenal has happened and I think it’s time we stop pretending we’re not all completely psyched about it, America. You all know where I’m going with this, especially since the whole theme of this blog today is nostalgia and awesomeness. Which is why I know that we’re all watching “Wilson Phillips: Still Holding On” on the TV Guide Network.

I know, right??! Is that not the most amazing half hour of television you’ve ever seen? They performed in a Loehmann's department store, people. They went camping. Carnie had a second gastric bypass surgery and then Chynna Phillips nursed her back to health by being insane and driving Carnie too crazy to lay around and recover and so she went on "tour" (to Connecticut?) with the band instead.

Hell, if Chynna Phillips was incessantly talking to me about vegan food and Jesus, I think I’d maybe get surgery just to have a few days of peace and quiet.

It’s blissful. It’s amazing. It elicited this text from me to one of my best friends the other day: 
“You must stop whatever it is that you’re doing and watch “Wilson Phillips: Still Holding On” On Demand.  For real. GOLD. These bitches are crazy!”

I know, I know, I missed my calling as a tv critic and professional writer. Obviously.

But for real. If you’ve been busy doing other things, like raising a family, going to work, or reading, stop wasting your time, set aside 4 hours for interrupted tv viewing, and immediately pour your life into all of the glory that is Wilson Phillips.


I m still holding on.....are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment